Subject: Re: eGroup - the Sanity Clause...
From: Tim Pierce <twp @ rootsweb . com>
Date: Thu, 12 Aug 1999 23:31:09 -0400
To: John R Levine <johnl @ iecc . com>
Cc: Chuq Von Rospach <chuqui @ plaidworks . com>, list-managers @ GreatCircle . COM

On Thu, Aug 12, 1999 at 08:55:23PM -0400, John R Levine wrote:

> I agree that list
> members can't place wierd restrictions on their individual messages, but in
> this case eGroups is demanding from the list owner rights that it's not at
> all clear that any of his list members have assigned him.

The eGroups AUP seems pretty clearly directed at all of its users, not
just the listowners.  The `proprietary rights' clause says, `You agree
that upon posting any material within a group...'  Obviously it's not
the listowner who's posting the material, so the `you' here is the
individual user.

> If you send
> messages to a mailing list, you clearly are permitting redistribution and
> archiving, but it's not at all clear that you're permitting third parties to
> sell CD-ROMs with your stuff.

Maybe, but you still have to be careful.  If you don't reserve the
right to put archives into "other media," then you can't put them up
on the Web, for example.  Can I cut a CD-ROM of our list archives and
give it away as a conference freebie?  Some people seem to think that
it's okay as long as we're losing money.

This year's sensible restriction often turns into next year's
shortsighted mistake.  The battle for preventing CD-ROM redistribution
was pretty much lost when Walnut Creek started putting news.answers
and comp.sources on CDs.

--
Regards,
Tim Pierce