Subject: Re: eGroup - the Sanity Clause...
From: Chuq Von Rospach <chuqui @ plaidworks . com>
Date: Thu, 12 Aug 1999 22:21:54 -0700
To: Tim Pierce <twp @ rootsweb . com>, John R Levine <johnl @ iecc . com>
Cc: Chuq Von Rospach <chuqui @ plaidworks . com>, list-managers @ GreatCircle . COM

At 11:31 PM -0400 8/12/99, Tim Pierce wrote:

The eGroups AUP seems pretty clearly directed at all of its users, not
just the listowners.

But John pointed something out to me privately -- go register for an eGroups account. Nowhere in the registration process do they refer you to their end user agreements. It's hidden underneath an undersized footnote called "legal". Is there an expectation that a user registering for an account would know to go looking under "legal" for the rules?

I wouldn't want to be the lawyer defending eGroups if push comes to shove on that. Especially given that they could avoid that problem with a one paragraph note on the registration page that says "by registering with our service, you agree to...." with a hotlink to their legal page. but that's missing, so there's a serious information disconnect here. Nowhere do they tell you waht you're agreeing to.

Maybe it's enforcable. Maybe not. I sure wouldn't do it that way, though (and actually, I'm glad this came up, since I'm designing some stuff where keeping that in mind will be quite useful).

--
Chuq Von Rospach (Hockey fan? <http://www.plaidworks.com/hockey/>)
Apple Mail List Gnome (mailto:chuq @

The Jedi that I admire most met up with Darth Maul and now he's toast...
   (Weird Al Yankovic - The Saga Begins)