Subject: Re: Useless NDRs [Was: Nondeliverable mail]
From: Chuq Von Rospach <chuqui @ plaidworks . com>
Date: Mon, 23 Aug 1999 23:17:41 -0700
To: John R Levine <johnl @ iecc . com>, Jeffrey Goldberg <J . Goldberg @ Cranfield . ac . uk>
Cc: list-managers @ GreatCircle . COM

At 7:55 PM -0400 8/23/99, John R Levine wrote:

This doesn't excuse MSN, but it does mean that until they move their system
to something based on Hotmail, it's not going to get any better, and I
wouldn't blame you for kicking all MSN users off your list.  If you get an
MSN bounce, just kick off all the MSN users, then send them a mailing
explaining you can't tell who caused the bounce, if it wasn't them they can
resubscribe, and they should complain to MSN for forcing this asinine
situation.

I rarely have many problems with MSN. Over the weekend, however, the system clearly burped, and blew out some noticably bogus messages. Before you throw MSN out iwth the bathwather, I suggest you take a second look, and ask yourself whether what you're seeing is a real problem, or a short-term situation on the order of the "too many hops" problem most of us have caused at one point or another. Because I think MSN is getting ripped here for being MSN, not for any systemic problem. And I say that as no real fan of MSN, only as someone who noticed what as clearly a temporary, systemwide oopsie on their part and simply threw away all of the mail from them until it stopped, the same way I throw away boucnes for any site that's clearly in a case of short-term failure mode. As I'd hope other sites will do for mine when I screw mine up again...

--
Chuq Von Rospach (Hockey fan? <http://www.plaidworks.com/hockey/>)
Apple Mail List Gnome (mailto:chuq @

The Jedi that I admire most met up with Darth Maul and now he's toast...
   (Weird Al Yankovic - The Saga Begins)