Subject: Re: Useless NDRs [Was: Nondeliverable mail]
From: Jeffrey Goldberg <J . Goldberg @ Cranfield . ac . uk>
Date: Tue, 24 Aug 1999 15:13:15 +0100 (BST)
To: Chuq Von Rospach <chuqui @ plaidworks . com>
Cc: John R Levine <johnl @ iecc . com>, list-managers @ GreatCircle . COM

On Mon, 23 Aug 1999, Chuq Von Rospach wrote:

> I rarely have many problems with MSN.

Now that you mention it, I agree.  MSN has not been a site that I have
had cause to consider barring.  I was speaking generally in a context in
which someone else was quoting a useless NDR from MSN.  And yes

> I think MSN is getting ripped here for being MSN, not for any
> systemic problem.

Guilty as charged.  I suppose that I am one of many who wanted to find
fault with MSN.

The problems that I do have are mostly from two sources.  One of my lists
has a lot of people from business schools.  A substantial number of these
are running Lotus Notes.  These really do produce useless bounces since
the internal LN username is often very distinct from the smtp email alias.
Also LN SMTP gateway strips most headers, so certainly doesn't provide
them in bounces.

Another recent problem is an autoresponder in some MS Exchange systems.

But yes, I followed along with being overly hard on MSN for the obvious
reasons.

The general point remains.  Those who manage email systems that misbehave
wrt mailing lists should be listed in a way that allows mailing list
managers to ban or warn those subscribing from those domains.

I also have to admitt that not all NDRs from Cranfield are useful, but we
try and we have helpful and responsive postmasters who are always willing
to help out list managers when the odd useless NDR does occur.

-j

--
Jeffrey Goldberg                +44 (0)1234 750 111 x 2826
 Cranfield Computer Centre      FAX         751 814