Subject: Re: Useless NDRs [Was: Nondeliverable mail]
From: Chuq Von Rospach <chuqui @ plaidworks . com>
Date: Tue, 24 Aug 1999 16:14:34 -0700
To: Istvan Berkeley <istvan @ usl . edu>, list-managers @ GreatCircle . COM

At 4:56 PM -0500 8/24/99, Istvan Berkeley wrote:

Forwarding systems are often a
cause of headaches.

they can be a pain. I do a due dilligence trying to track things down, then I have a procmail script that looks for the unfindable names and throws away the error messages for me so I don't waste any more time on them. If they don't want me to find the addresses, they can waste the system resources bouncing stuff to /dev/null until I get around to probing the list.

However, the very worst offenders, in my experience,
are AOL. I have had a persistent NDR from one of my dozen or so AOL
subscribers which has been with me for months. The alleged username is
not in my subscriber base. I assume that it is someone's AOL alias.

nope. I'll bet a beer it's someone forwarding from a non-AOL address to AOL, where the AOL screen name is dead, adn the forwarding site is stripping all of the useful info.

--
Chuq Von Rospach (Hockey fan? <http://www.plaidworks.com/hockey/>)
Apple Mail List Gnome (mailto:chuq @

The Jedi that I admire most met up with Darth Maul and now he's toast...
   (Weird Al Yankovic - The Saga Begins)