Subject: Re: Useless NDRs [Was: Nondeliverable mail]
From: Jeffrey Goldberg <J . Goldberg @ Cranfield . ac . uk>
Date: Wed, 25 Aug 1999 07:39:48 +0100 (BST)
To: Istvan Berkeley <istvan @ usl . edu>
Cc: list-managers @ greatcircle . com

On Tue, 24 Aug 1999, Istvan Berkeley wrote:

> My list, PHILOSOP, suffers a great deal from NDR's.

> I have had a persistent NDR from one of my dozen or so AOL
> subscribers which has been with me for months. The alleged username is
> not in my subscriber base. I assume that it is someone's AOL alias. I
> have tried to contact AOL, but have receieved nothing other than
> automated responses.

> I am now thinking of just banning all AOL users. Has anyone else run
> into analogous problems with AOL?

No, I find bounces from AoL very good.  The situation that you have is
that someone on your list listing a non-AoL address has their mail
forwarded to AoL.  Even if you removed all of your AoL addresses you would
still have the bounce that you report.

Bounces from AoL usually include full headers and so are quite useful
NDRs.  Examining those you should be able to be able to take some
reasonable guesses at what site forwarded the message to AoL and then look
for that address on your list.

The real solution to the problem of forwards to bad addresses is to set
up your lists to use VERP, short of that you could run occassional probes.

Minden jot kivanok,

-j

--
Jeffrey Goldberg                +44 (0)1234 750 111 x 2826
 Cranfield Computer Centre      FAX         751 814