Subject: RE: MSN-Nondeliverable Mail
From: Sam Brooks <sbrooks @ earthlink . net>
Date: Mon, 23 Aug 1999 09:36:12 -0700 (PDT)
To: list-managers @ GreatCircle . COM

Ken Bourbeau writes:
    <<SNIP>>
To: POSTMASTER @
 MSN .
 COM

 btechnet .
 com

Please advise me how I'm supposed to remove a subscriber from
my list when your mail system fails to identify the address that is
bouncing. This is a common problem with subscriptions from your
service.
************REPLY************
Hi,

Used to have that problem, until I realized that MSN changes a
members address slightly, for whatever reason.

Scenario:

I join msn and get/have the email address of me @
 msn .
 com

MSN changes the address slightly to this:  me @
 classic .
 msn .
 com
Methinks this is some kind of mail server designation.
There are others, but I've seen classic used most often.

I then join your list with me @
 msn .
 com
Everything OK, then address bounces.

MSN notifies you, the listowner, that me @
 classic .
 msn .
 com
in not valid.  So, you now send an email command to the
server to uns*b me @
 classic .
 msn .
 com .
   And what happens,
the server comes back and says, me @
 classic .
 msn .
 com,
is not a member of whatever list.

Solution:  Most of the time, just drop the prefixes
in the email address in front of msn.com and send
the addy in.  OR, pull down your subscriber list
and look for the address there.  I've never had a
msn member that was not on my subscriber list.
However, most of the time is was just not in a
form the computer would recognize.

BTW-Thanks for adding a copy of your digest to your post.
    Really enjoyed reading it.  ;)

Sam A Brooks
sbrooks @
 alist4u .
 net
Specializing in Complete, "One-Stop", "Turn-Key" List Hosting
Solutions for the small to medium Business Owner.
http://www.alist4u.net
Public Lists currently hosted on our server:
KitCar List(Discussion Group)
HerbInfo Lis(Discussion Group)
Mr KABC NewsLetter

Follow-Ups:
Indexed By Date Previous: Re: Subscription Probes...