Great Circle Associates List-Managers
(October 1999)

Subject: Re: Anyone else seeing probes from meta-list.net?
From: Jeremy Blackman <loki @ maison-otaku . net>
Date: Fri, 1 Oct 1999 16:34:32 -0700 (PDT)
To: Rich Kulawiec <rsk @ gsp . org>
Cc: list-managers @ GreatCircle . COM

On Fri, 1 Oct 1999, Rich Kulawiec wrote:

> My majordomo log shows:
>
> Oct 01 05:35:51 gsp.org majordomo[29085]
> {67360-trace-robot @
 meta-list .
 net} lists

I see similar probes from <xxxxxx>-trace-robot @
 meta-list .
 net to
listar@<domain> on various of my machines.  (I'm not sure whether to be
flattered or worried that Listar is apparently common enough now to
warrant being in list-scanning automation routines.)  In particular,
listar @
 nausicaa .
 net and listar @
 listar .
 org were probed for lists.

> There doesn't seem to be any useful content at www.meta-list.net (just
> the default install page for Apache) so I'm at somewhat of a loss as
> to just what's going on here.

Well, the domain belongs to SPEED-LINK GmbH, a German company.  My wild
guess - since they're only probing for what lists exist, not for list
membership - is that they're planning to set up yet another service to
offer a frontend subscription to mailing lists they don't actually
provide... :/