Great Circle Associates List-Managers
(October 1999)

Subject: Re: Anyone else seeing probes from meta-list.net?
From: David Shaw <dshaw @ jabberwocky . com>
Date: Sat, 2 Oct 1999 10:33:08 -0400
To: list-managers @ GreatCircle . COM

On Fri, Oct 01, 1999 at 04:34:32PM -0700, Jeremy Blackman wrote:
> On Fri, 1 Oct 1999, Rich Kulawiec wrote:
>
> > My majordomo log shows:
> >
> > Oct 01 05:35:51 gsp.org majordomo[29085]
> > {67360-trace-robot @
 meta-list .
 net} lists

> I see similar probes from <xxxxxx>-trace-robot @
 meta-list .
 net to
> listar@<domain> on various of my machines.  (I'm not sure whether to be
> flattered or worried that Listar is apparently common enough now to
> warrant being in list-scanning automation routines.)  In particular,
> listar @
 nausicaa .
 net and listar @
 listar .
 org were probed for lists.

> > There doesn't seem to be any useful content at www.meta-list.net (just
> > the default install page for Apache) so I'm at somewhat of a loss as
> > to just what's going on here.
>
> Well, the domain belongs to SPEED-LINK GmbH, a German company.  My wild
> guess - since they're only probing for what lists exist, not for list
> membership - is that they're planning to set up yet another service to
> offer a frontend subscription to mailing lists they don't actually
> provide... :/

I suspect you're right, though their web page (See
http://www.speed-link.de/internetfall/) doesn't go so far as to
mention subscription services - just a search engine.

I got probed twice.. I'll be amusing to see if their system is smart
enough to remove duplicates.

David

--
   David Shaw  |  dshaw @