Great Circle Associates List-Managers
(October 1999)

Subject: Re: Servers altering email?
From: John R Levine <johnl @ iecc . com>
Date: Mon, 4 Oct 1999 18:09:23 -0400 (EDT)
To: "David W. Tamkin" <dattier @ Mcs . Net>
Cc: List-Managers @ GreatCircle . COM

> This is highly unfriendly and, given the false From: and the return to To:
> rather than to the envelope sender, completely in violation.  If you run an
> unmoderated list and have any Prodigy users on it, especially in reflector
> mode, I'd suggest putting in a loop detection filter for these.  It worked
> for me.

This is a short term problem, fortunately.  Any prodigy.com address is the
old Prodigy Classic videotex service which will be shut down before the end
of the year due to a combination of Y2K problems and its fundamental
awfulness.  (I hear they still have over 100K subscribers, which must say
something about people's preference for the devil they know.)

Their prodigy.net service is a normal ISP and their mail system isn't broken
any worse than anyone else's.

Regards,
John Levine, johnl @
 iecc .
 com, Primary Perpetrator of "The Internet for Dummies",
Finger for PGP key, f'print = 3A 5B D0 3F D9 A0 6A A4  2D AC 1E 9E A6 36 A3 47