Great Circle Associates List-Managers
(October 1999)

Subject: Re: Cranfield.ac.uk now blocking mail from encephalon.com
From: "Ronald F. Guilmette" <rfg @ monkeys . com>
Date: Sun, 10 Oct 1999 09:30:39 -0700
To: Jeffrey Goldberg <J . Goldberg @ Cranfield . ac . uk>

In message <Pine .
 LNX .
 4 .
 10 .
 9910100713000 .
 19253-100000 @
 arpad .
 thegreen .
 private>,
Jeffrey Goldberg <J .
 Goldberg @
 Cranfield .
 ac .
 uk> wrote:

>Every majordomo based mailing list at Cranfield.ac.uk just (early Sunday,
>Oct 10, 1999) experienced a subscription or attempted subscription from
>
>  sbergeon @
 ENCEPHALON .
 COM

>Until I get a satisfactory explanation for this (which I have to take as
>extremely suspicious) I am blocking all email from enephalon.com to
>Cranfield.ac.uk...

I'm glad this came up because it allows me to pose a question.

As part of an anti-spam system I'm working on, it might turn out to be
very helpful to know the envelope sender addresses used by various
mailing lists, i.e. many/most/all of the legitimate opt-in mailing
lists in existance.

It seems that the only way to gather these, en mass, would be to develop
some sort of automated thingy that would go and subscribe to all of the
lists it could find, wiat for the first message from each list, grab
the envelope sender address, and then unsubscribe.

But Jeffrey's message would seem to indicate that doing this, en mass,
for lots of mailing lists, might well raise hackles in many quarters.

Would it?  Is this sort of activity considered un-kosher, in general, or
is it just considered un-kosher if there's no good explanation for it
forthcoming from the party doing it?