Great Circle Associates List-Managers
(October 1999)

Subject: Re: Cranfield.ac.uk now blocking mail from encephalon.com
From: Chuq Von Rospach <chuqui @ plaidworks . com>
Date: Sun, 10 Oct 1999 10:49:12 -0700
To: "Ronald F. Guilmette" <rfg @ monkeys . com>, Jeffrey Goldberg <J . Goldberg @ Cranfield . ac . uk>

At 9:30 AM -0700 10/10/99, Ronald F. Guilmette wrote:

Would it?  Is this sort of activity considered un-kosher, in general, or
is it just considered un-kosher if there's no good explanation for it
forthcoming from the party doing it?

It would be hard to tell the difference between this and someone doing prep work for a spam attack. I'd say, even if you sent email to the postmaster explaining, it'd still raise hackles, and might well not be believed by anyone who doesn't know you, explanation or no.

And if this were a tool that was going to be released for general usage, I'd say it'd make list managers very, very unhappy. Imagine if, oh, procmail did this for every user. it *would* turn into an attack on list servers, from sheer volume of requests.

--
Chuq Von Rospach - Plaidworks Consulting (mailto:chuqui @
plaidworks .