Great Circle Associates List-Managers
(October 1999)

Subject: Re: Cranfield.ac.uk now blocking mail from encephalon.com
From: "Ronald F. Guilmette" <rfg @ monkeys . com>
Date: Sun, 10 Oct 1999 11:08:55 -0700

In message <v0421011cb426819ced57 @
 plaidworks .
 com>,
Chuq Von Rospach <chuqui @
 plaidworks .
 com> wrote:

>At 9:30 AM -0700 10/10/99, Ronald F. Guilmette wrote:
>

>> Would it?  Is this sort of activity considered un-kosher, in general, or
>> is it just considered un-kosher if there's no good explanation for it
>> forthcoming from the party doing it?
>
>It would be hard to tell the difference between this and someone
>doing prep work for a spam attack. I'd say, even if you sent email to
>the postmaster explaining, it'd still raise hackles, and might well
>not be believed by anyone who doesn't know you, explanation or no.
>
>And if this were a tool that was going to be released for general
>usage, I'd say it'd make list managers very, very unhappy. Imagine
>if, oh, procmail did this for every user. it *would* turn into an
>attack on list servers, from sheer volume of requests.

Well *that* is certainly not what I had in mind!

Rather, I was just talking about _precompiling_ a list of envelope sender
addresses for legitimate mailing lists, once and only once.

(It would be prohibitively expensive to repeatedly do _anything_ relating
to mailing lists, repeatedly, for each end user, or for any significant
group thereof, or for each and ever message those end users receive.)