Great Circle Associates List-Managers
(October 1999)

Subject: Re: Cranfield.ac.uk now blocking mail from encephalon.com (fwd)
From: "Ronald F. Guilmette" <rfg @ monkeys . com>
Date: Mon, 11 Oct 1999 11:16:13 -0700
To: list-managers @ GreatCircle . COM

In message <Pine .
 LNX .
 4 .
 10 .
 9910111743000 .
 2451-100000 @
 neumann .
 ccc .
 cranfield .
 ac .
 uk
>, Jeffrey Goldberg <J .
 Goldberg @
 Cranfield .
 ac .
 uk> wrote:

>Steve Bergeon has answered a number of questions that I posed to him, and
>I believe his answers.  I have removed the block on his site.

When it came right down to it, this fellow was somewhat less than entirely
specific regarding the nature and intent of his research:

>>There were several goals for this obviously ill considered venture. Mostly
>>I wanted to amass mail for analysis of both headers and content. To see
>>what sort, if any, new spam would come with the new lists. To see what
>>limits procmail had.

That's not to say that his intent was anything other than honorable.  I just
think that it is incumbant upon anyone doing research like this to be quite
clear and specific regarding the methods and goals.

P.S.  As long as we are still talking about it (and given that this episode
makes it quite apparent that list admins may get their hackles raised by
any sort of automated subscribes/unsubscribes) allow me to pose the question
to the entire readership of this list: If someone sent you an E-mail (in
your capacity as list managers) asking for a list of, for example, the
envelope sender addresses used in outgoing traffic on/with your lists,
would you send that info back, or would you balk?