Great Circle Associates List-Managers
(October 1999)

Subject: Re: Sympa? mailman?
From: Jeremy Blackman <loki @ maison-otaku . net>
Date: Mon, 11 Oct 1999 22:57:27 -0700 (PDT)
To: Nick Simicich <njs @ scifi . squawk . com>
Cc: Chuq Von Rospach <chuqui @ plaidworks . com>, list-managers @ GreatCircle . COM

On Mon, 11 Oct 1999, Nick Simicich wrote:

> At 02:33 PM 10/11/99 -0700, Jeremy Blackman wrote:
> >As I said, it's just one of my personal quirks that I don't like running
> >large-volume mailing lists as interpreted scripts.  I watched someone run
> >a Majordomo list with 1900 users that got 80 posts a day, and it flattened
> >his machine... that was one of the reasons I decided to write Listar in C.
> >:)
>
> Let's think about this for a second.  How does Majordomo work?  The
> delivery path is....The MTA gets the message and processes it through a
> perl script, resend.  The perl script processes in, (let's be real
> generous, here) at most five-six seconds of CPU (that is being pretty

In his case, what was largely the problem was that his Perl was
misconfigured and was trying to parse through a GREAT many more Perl
libraries than was needed.  Each invokation of resend took about 5
_minutes_.  Believe me, I helped track down and fix the
misconfiguration...it IS possible to do that.  It is much HARDER to do
something like that (misconfigure in such a way) under C.

You are, however, correct that sendmail did not aid the situation.

I will also admit I am biased against writing applications in scripting
languages as a general rule, because I've seen some things done very, very
wrong in them.  I've seen some things done wrong in C as well, and I've
seen some things done right in scripting languages, but as a general rule
for some reason I feel more like daemons and such should be written in C
or C++ or SOMETHING that compiles and produces a binary.

When I see things on freshmeat like 'HTTP Daemon written in Perl' or 'MTA
written in Perl' or 'FTP client written in shell scripting language', I
just want to run screaming and hide under my desk. :)

> Cows With Guns

Good song. :)