Great Circle Associates List-Managers
(October 1999)

Subject: Re: Cranfield.ac.uk now blocking mail from encephalon.com (fwd)
From: "Chris McEwen" <socrates @ sprintmail . com>
Date: Tue, 12 Oct 1999 06:22:29 -0700
To: <list-managers @ GreatCircle . COM>, "Ronald F. Guilmette" <rfg @ monkeys . com>

First of all, I would think there are better ways to do legitimate research
than this. If nothing else, I would have expected the person to approach me
personally before running a script like this on my server.

But let's stand back a moment and ask a question: If his research is meant
to reduce spam, then does spam emanate from a list or rather is spam
targeted to a list? If anything, my take on this is that the result of Mr.
Goldberg's research would be to create spam that would find its way onto the
lists.

In answer to Ronald's specific question and in light of my above comments, I
would certainly not give the information requested.

--Chris McEwen
  Socrates Press, Keyport WA
  socrates @
 sprintmail .