Great Circle Associates List-Managers
(October 1999)

Subject: Re: Idiot of the hour
From: Steve Bergeon <sbergeon @ encephalon . com>
Date: Tue, 12 Oct 1999 18:16:50 -0500
To: Jeremy Blackman <loki @ maison-otaku . net>
Cc: Chuq Von Rospach <chuqui @ plaidworks . com>, Tim Pierce <twp @ rootsweb . com>, list-managers @ GreatCircle . COM

Relationships between lists are important in judging proper use, this
makes good sense. How could that concept be built into a meta database
of lists vs users? A simplistic approach might be to say,

"It's unlikely that more than three lists are related, so the sign-on
threshold should be four [in time period x]"?

Jeremy Blackman wrote:

> On Tue, 12 Oct 1999, Steve Bergeon wrote:
>
> > So the conclusion is that over one, ask the owner? I can
> > live with that.
>
> What I tend to notice is when someone subscribes to a bunch of UNRELATED
> mailing lists.  If I see someone subscribe to listar-support, listar-dev,
> and listar-cvs, I probably won't think twice about it...when I pick up a
> new package, I'll often subscribe to both support and development lists,
> and a CVS notification list if there is one.
>
> If I see someone subscribe to every publically-viewable list on a machine
> at once?  THAT raises alarm bells.

Indexed By Date Previous: Re: Idiot of the hour