Great Circle Associates List-Managers
(October 1999)

Subject: Re: Sympa? mailman?
From: Jason L Tibbitts III <tibbs @ math . uh . edu>
Date: 11 Oct 1999 19:54:41 -0500
To: Chuq Von Rospach <chuqui @ plaidworks . com>
Cc: Jeremy Blackman <loki @ maison-otaku . net>, list-managers @ GreatCircle . COM

 plaidworks .
 com> writes:

CVR> I like the potential of majordomo II, but it just seems like they're
CVR> trying to do things that sympa had months ago.

Well, I've only heard one mention of Sympa before this thread and have
never seen it nor have I been on any lists running it.  I'm not really sure
what its feature set is, although from what I can gather it is designed
around storing the list databases in a real database and so it can make a
couple of neat assumptions (like doing table joins to generate
meta-lists).  It's a neat idea, really.  Mj2 currently uses DB as its
backend (unless you choose to use flat files, which for some people is an
absolute requirement).  DB really does lead to some nice speed
improvements.

BTW, Mj2's feature set has been pretty stable for months now.

CVR> (and yes, I'm part of the problem with mj2 -- watching instead of
CVR> helping -- but a person only stretches so far...)

Well, the same goes for me.  I haven't been able to "sell" Mj2 to enough
interested developers, so it languishes as a spare time project of mine.
Too bad, really, but that's life.  It's still nice to work on it; there are
some neat things that it does that I just haven't seen elsewhere.

 - J<