Great Circle Associates List-Managers
(October 1999)

Subject: Re: Cranfield.ac.uk now blocking mail from encephalon.com (fwd)
From: Vince Sabio <vince-lists @ vjs . org>
Date: Tue, 12 Oct 1999 00:21:25 -0400
To: "Ronald F. Guilmette" <rfg @ monkeys . com>, list-managers @ GreatCircle . COM

** Sometime around 11:16 -0700 10/11/1999, Ronald F. Guilmette sent us:

P.S.  As long as we are still talking about it (and given that this episode
makes it quite apparent that list admins may get their hackles raised by
any sort of automated subscribes/unsubscribes) allow me to pose the question
to the entire readership of this list: If someone sent you an E-mail (in
your capacity as list managers) asking for a list of, for example, the
envelope sender addresses used in outgoing traffic on/with your lists,
would you send that info back, or would you balk?

I don't see that this is particularly sensitive information, at least in
my case. If the request originated from a human being (not a robot), and
was accompanied by a reasonably legitimate-sounding explanation, I'd send
back the requested info.

If no explanation was initially volunteered, I'd have to admit to being
both curious and somewhat suspicious; I'd certainly request an explanation
before sending back the requested info.

Sure, one could easily "forge" bounces for valid subscribers, and thus
trigger their removal from mailing lists (this presupposes some form of
bounce handling is in use at the site), but even if someone really did
want to go to such lengths, he wouldn't need to get the envelope-from
address from the list owner or server admin directly. In fact, if the
motives really were disingenuous, he'd be a fool to request that kind of
information directly; kinda puts him a the top of the suspects list when
the problems begin.

Vince Sabio                     Got Bounces? <http://www.smartbounce.com/>
vince-lists @
vjs .