Great Circle Associates List-Managers
(October 1999)

Subject: Re: spammers and list confirmations
From: Chuq Von Rospach <chuqui @ plaidworks . com>
Date: Wed, 13 Oct 1999 23:30:39 -0700
To: John R Levine <johnl @ iecc . com>, Tom Neff <tneff @ bigfoot . com>
Cc: List-Managers @ GreatCircle . COM

At 1:02 AM -0400 10/14/99, John R Levine wrote:

* The majordomo kind, where you have to send back a cookie that's a hash of
the subscriber's address,

or more correctly, majordomo 1.94.3. and yes, it's a huge problem, because the auth line is simply too long, and mailers that word-wrap die badly, and leave users clueless why. I looked at fixing majordomo to read the second line, but the code is, um, not enthusiastic about being changedc.

* A cookie that the server remembers, which I originally wrote for
soc.religion.unitarian-univ, the original robomoderated newsgroup and for
abuse.net.

the majordomo2 concept, and also backported to 1.93.4 (or perhaps patched into... I've got the sources around here and I can't remember which). Much, much nicer than auth lines. But stll fairly easy for naive users to get wrong, especially new users who don't read what you send them. On one list I run, we did this for a while -- and had 40% dropout rates. Mostly because new users just didn't, or didn't realize they needed to.

(it's important to remember that we now have a growing population of users who understand web stuff better than email, unlike us old pharts. And many are scared and/or intimidated by email stuff and listserver stuff. So the more you look at dealing with these folks, the less complicated you need to make things...)

* The web kind, with a URL in the confirmation message that you click to
confirm.  I'm moving to these,

me to. On some of my lists, soon you'll have no way to subscribe via email. I expect eventually all will be that way. And so the default unsub will be via web, as will confirms. I do plan on keeping an email "panic button" unsubscribe, but you can make it SO simple for users by going to the web and using embedded links and customized email and the like... In fact, I'm soon going to modify my "welcome" message to include a customized link to an unsubscribe web page with the name pre-encoded.....

--
Chuq Von Rospach - Plaidworks Consulting (mailto:chuqui @
plaidworks .

What was that?