Great Circle Associates List-Managers
(October 1999)

Subject: Re: spammers and list confirmations
From: jimstyer @ voyager . net
Date: Thu, 14 Oct 1999 10:27:52 -0400 (EDT)
To: List-Managers @ GreatCircle . COM

At 11:30 PM 10/13/99 -0700, Chuq Von Rospach wrote:

>me to. On some of my lists, soon you'll have no way to subscribe via
>email. I expect eventually all will be that way. And so the default
>unsub will be via web, as will confirms. I do plan on keeping an
>email "panic button" unsubscribe, but you can make it SO simple for
>users by going to the web and using embedded links and customized
>email and the like... In fact, I'm soon going to modify my "welcome"
>message to include a customized link to an unsubscribe web page with
>the name pre-encoded.....

And what about us "old pharts" who prefer to keep it simple?
I do all my personal e-mail work from within Eudora, keep my subscribe and
unsubscribe addresses file there, too. I also run my small list (240 subs
and growing) completely from Eudora, keep my own backup archives and
boilerplate msgs there, too. I find it quite efficient. I prefer not to
have to bounce back and forth between Eudora and Netscape. My only use
of the Web is a sign-up form on our organizational Web site,
but the sign-up requests come to me via basic non-Web e-mail. They
also can request sign-up by direct message to me. (NO automated
sign-ups, no spam.) An inappropriate sub-wannabe is rare, and doesn't
respond to my query for affiliation or interest.

All in all, very simple, very clean.

Jim Styer, Battle Creek MI, PioNet owner (a list for Michiganders
interested in barbershop harmony)
--jimstyer @
 voyager .
 net--

Follow-Ups:
Indexed By Date Previous: full headers of subscription requests to detect abuse (was: Cranfield.ac.uk now blocking mail from encephalon.com)