Great Circle Associates List-Managers
(October 1999)

Subject: Re: spammers and list confirmations
From: Chuq Von Rospach <chuqui @ plaidworks . com>
Date: Sat, 16 Oct 1999 21:15:38 -0700
To: jimstyer @ voyager . net, List-Managers @ GreatCircle . COM

At 10:27 AM -0400 10/14/99, jimstyer @
voyager .
net wrote:

And what about us "old pharts" who prefer to keep it simple?

what about people who prefer their black and white TVs?

To be honest, you're an increasingly rare breed, compared to the internet users who never even knew there was a time when TV was black adn white only.

or perhaps the rotary telephone.

both are great examples of things where as technology moved forward, there were attempts to maintain compatibility, but just try to run a modern voice mail or phone tree from a rotary phone.

You don't ignore the people who prefer "the old days", but you also don't prevent them from moving technology forward. it's one of those tradeoffs people have to make based on their knowledge of their users. But just try to find a voicemail system or an answer machine that works with a rotary phone today -- you stll have basic service, since the phones still work, but you get less and less access to the modern features. At some point, you have to decide to either "go hermetic" and live in your backwater, or join the rest of us. Asking everyone else to hang back with you won't work -- even if we were listening, we wouldn't. And most folks won't ever hear you...

All in all, very simple, very clean.

For you. And to be honest, I know someone who to this day refuses to replace her rotary phone. For her, it's a badge of honor. But nher company now has a voicemail system that requires a modern phone (like one from the last 15 years or so), and it creates problems for her. But she's proud of her stand.

Personally, I think it's silly, but more power to her. Just don't expect her to ansewr her voicemail from home.

--
Chuq Von Rospach - Plaidworks Consulting (mailto:chuqui @
plaidworks .

What was that?