Great Circle Associates List-Managers
(October 1999)

Subject: Re: spammers and list confirmations
From: Stan Ryckman <stanr @ sunspot . tiac . net>
Date: Sun, 17 Oct 1999 21:31:55 -0400
To: List-Managers @ GreatCircle . COM

At 09:15 PM 10/16/99 -0700, Chuq Von Rospach wrote:
>At 10:27 AM -0400 10/14/99, jimstyer @
 voyager .
 net wrote:

>> And what about us "old pharts" who prefer to keep it simple?
>
>what about people who prefer their black and white TVs?
>
>To be honest, you're an increasingly rare breed, compared to the
>internet users who never even knew there was a time when TV was black
>adn white only.

Well, I have a nice color TV.  I also have a radio in my car.

>both are great examples of things where as technology moved forward,
>there were attempts to maintain compatibility, but just try to run a
>modern voice mail or phone tree from a rotary phone.

But you are saying that we are in the backwater because we don't
want to use the color TV remote control to turn off the car radio.

Radio and TV are different mediums, just like the web and email are
different mediums.  Radio and TV have something in common: they
use electromagnetic waves to transmit information.  The web and email
have something in common:  they use the Internet to transmit
information.

>You don't ignore the people who prefer "the old days", but you also
>don't prevent them from moving technology forward. it's one of those
>tradeoffs people have to make based on their knowledge of their
>users. But just try to find a voicemail system or an answer machine
>that works with a rotary phone today -- you stll have basic service,
>since the phones still work, but you get less and less access to the
>modern features. At some point, you have to decide to either "go
>hermetic" and live in your backwater, or join the rest of us. Asking
>everyone else to hang back with you won't work -- even if we were
>listening, we wouldn't. And most folks won't ever hear you...

Since you're so convinced that email is "the old days" and shouldn't
get in the way of moving technology forward, which you equate to
using the web, then I would expect you to convert your email lists--
you don't want to hang back, after all--and just run lists on the
web for people to post to and read there.  Those do exist, you know.

Those of us without T1's in our homes and who prefer to operate
offline then won't hear you...

Or perhaps I should take the radio out of my car and install
a color TV?

>What was that?
>    French horns...

No, those are centuries-old technology, far older than black-and-white
televisions, radios, or rotary phones... they obviously have no place
any more, and anyone who uses a French horn is obviously stuck
in the backwater.

Cheers,
Stan

Follow-Ups:
Indexed By Date Previous: Re: spammers and list confirmations