Great Circle Associates List-Managers
(October 1999)

Subject: Re: Local alias problem
From: Cyndi Norman <cnorman @ best . com>
Date: Mon, 18 Oct 1999 14:05:22 -0700 (PDT)
To: michael . brach @ ruhr-uni-bochum . de
Cc: List-Managers @ GreatCircle . COM, cnorman @ best . com

This issue comes up for me all the time too.

My policy is people can recieve posts to any address they want (helps for
sorting for many or has other logistical advantages to choose).

And people can post from any address they want.  Some people like to post
anon with a free email account.  This is fine.  Some people have the
forwarding problem.  Some people just have more than one account.  Some
people have email problems and need a backup account to post from.

The software I use (Bestserv...we have to use it; it's watered down
majordomo) has an "alias" subscription option.  It means you count as a
subscriber for posting purposes (only subscribers can post) but you won't
recieve posts at that address.

Listserv has this option too; it's called NO MAIL.  They can subscribe and
then set it to NO MAIL so they are in the subscription database but won't
recieve posts there.  I'm sure Majordomo has a similar option.

Users subscribe on their own and if they have trouble posting (and can't
figure out the alias problem from my help pages) they tell me.  I then tell
them how to set up an alias (I have a cheat sheet for all the list
commands).

I think most users do get forwarding once you explain it to them.  I mean
just show them the mail you got from them and what address it came from.
This is different from the address they give out to others.  Not too
hard...though I know it's easy to overestimate user's abilities :-)

Cyndi

"There's nothing wrong with me.  Maybe there's                     Cyndi Norman
something wrong with the universe." (ST:TNG)           cyndi @
 consultclarity .
 com
                                                 http://www.consultclarity.com/