Great Circle Associates List-Managers
(October 1999)

Subject: Re: posting from subscribed address (was local alias problem)
From: "David W. Tamkin" <dattier @ Mcs . Net>
Date: Mon, 18 Oct 1999 16:40:13 -0500 (CDT)
To: list-managers @ greatcircle . com

Danny Lieberman wrote,

| I have an explicit policy on my list that says "you must post from
| your subscribed address", period.  No exceptions, and no double
| subscribing, either.  For the most part it works fine.  Every so
| often a post will kick out and I will write a nice letter to the
| offending poster explaining the policy and they usually get it.

That's draconian.  For your list, Danny, it may be necessary or even ideal,
but for most that I've been on, it's severe.  That's why some packages sup-
port a roster of non-subscribed addresses with posting rights.

I moderate my list, so it's no problem for me to keep records of members'
alternate addresses.  All somebody has to do is write to me once from the
subscribed address to say, "foo @
 bar .
 baz is I" and after that I'll accept
posts from there as well, if of course the post is otherwise acceptable.

But what I'd really like to know is why you forbid double subscribing.  It
seems to me that that can't hurt, so what are the particulars of your list
that make double subscribing a bad thing there?