Great Circle Associates List-Managers
(October 1999)

Subject: Re: Local alias problem
From: Nick Simicich <njs @ scifi . squawk . com>
Date: Mon, 18 Oct 1999 18:56:46 -0400
To: Danny Lieberman <dfl @ panix . com>
Cc: michael . brach @ ruhr-uni-bochum . de (Michael Brach), list-managers @ GreatCircle . COM (List Managers)

Using Majordomo, I maintain lists in triplets.  There is an X list, an
X-digest, and an X-posting list.  The X-posting list is used for extra
posting addresses like this.  If I approve a bounce from an unsubscribed
address, I generally force them onto the X-posting list.  Generally, they
are posting from a new address because their address has changed and their
old address is being forwarded.  The average user frankly does not know
when their ISP changes their mailing address.  This procedure means that I
need only do this once per new address.

I also have a majordomo extension that allows people to move between the
lists without going through the confirmation dialog, that is, I support a
"set mail", "set nomail" and "set digest" for the lists.  This simply
unsubscribes and subscribes people to different lists in the triplet.  The
X-posting never has any mail set to it other than the announce.

However, if the announce bounces, I will unsub the user from the X-posting
list.  I do insist that they use real addresses.  Very few announces bounce.

This is explained at http://cowboywww.squawk.com/majordomo.faq.html

What happens when they try to unsub?  If they kept the instructions, it
will tell them how to submit an unsub that simply needs to be approved.
There is also a web interface that they can use on behalf of any address
that they can still get e-mail at.

Oh, yes, an unsub from the main list will try the digest list if they are
not on the main list.  This fix eliminated at least one confused user
e-mail per month, even though there are instructions in every footer.

How often does this happen?  Several times a day, on all the lists I run,
and the approve-and-subscribe is a keystroke that runs a script.

At 02:18 PM 10/18/99 -0400, Danny Lieberman wrote:

>Michael,
>
>I have an explicit policy on my list that says "you must post from
>your subscribed address", period.  No exceptions, and no double
>subscribing, either.  For the most part it works fine.  Every so
>often a post will kick out and I will write a nice letter to the
>offending poster explaining the policy and they usually get it.
>
>Those that dont are usually lurkers.
>
>--
>
>Danny Lieberman
>dfl @
 panix .

That which does not kill us, makes us stronger.
That which does kill us makes us smell stronger, after a few days, anyway.
Nick Simicich mailto:njs @
 scifi .
 squawk .
 com or (last choice)