Great Circle Associates List-Managers
(October 1999)

Subject: Re: Local alias problem
From: Tim Pierce <twp @ rootsweb . com>
Date: Thu, 21 Oct 1999 13:38:49 -0400
To: Jeremy Blackman <loki @ maison-otaku . net>
Cc: Cyndi Norman <cnorman @ best . com>, michael . brach @ ruhr-uni-bochum . de, List-Managers @ GreatCircle . COM

On Mon, Oct 18, 1999 at 04:55:14PM -0700, Jeremy Blackman wrote:
> On Mon, 18 Oct 1999, Cyndi Norman wrote:
>
> > Listserv has this option too; it's called NO MAIL.  They can subscribe and
> > then set it to NO MAIL so they are in the subscription database but won't
> > recieve posts there.  I'm sure Majordomo has a similar option.
>
> Listproc, the clone-implementation of Listserv, also has the NOMAIL flag.
>
> Listar has this functionality as well, as does Mailman (and I think
> Sympa and Lyris do as well).
>
> In fact, Majordomo is - as far as I know - the only package that does NOT
> provide for this functionality in some way, ...

SmartList doesn't have a NOMAIL concept.  Either you're on the list and
are receiving mail, or you're off it and you're not.

We have never really felt the loss.  NOMAIL is not very relevant if the
list doesn't support per-subscriber options (i.e. no state to remember).
About all it's good for is to make manual subscriptions easier, and
there are other ways around that.

--
Regards,
Tim Pierce