Great Circle Associates List-Managers
(October 1999)

Subject: Re: AOL silently dropping mail again?
From: "Ronald F. Guilmette" <rfg @ monkeys . com>
Date: Sat, 23 Oct 1999 19:55:47 -0700
To: byronl @ teleport . com
Cc: list-managers @ GreatCircle . COM

In message <Pine .
 GSO .
 4 .
 10 .
 9910231435010 .
 24419-100000 @
 user2 .
 teleport .
 com>, you w
rote:

>Is anyone else seeing reports of AOL silently dropping mail?
>
>We run a mail server with over 100 lists, and we've started to get some
>complaints from AOL subscribers that they are not getting list mail. I
>checked our maillogs and they show messages *are* being accepted for those
>same AOL addresses. So, I sent a message from the server to my own AOL
>account - our logs show it successfully delivered to AOL, but it never
>showed up in my mailbox there! (I have no AOL mail controls set.)
>
>When I send mail from another server, it is delivered immediately, so it
>seems the problem is with this one server only. But there is no
>indication of a problem. Mail is accepted, it's just apparently ignored.
>
>Anyone else seeing a similar problem?

It is a somewhat well known fact that if AOL identifies a given piece
of incoming mail as being probable spam, they'll accept it and then
just quietly route it to /dev/null with no bounce.

(According to them, they save a lot of bandwidth and processing power
by simply dev/null'ing spam, rather than trying to bounce it.)