Great Circle Associates List-Managers
(October 1999)

Subject: Re: AOL silently dropping mail again?
From: "David W. Tamkin" <dattier @ Mcs . Net>
Date: Mon, 25 Oct 1999 08:46:08 -0500 (CDT)
Cc: list-managers @ GreatCircle . COM

Sharon Tucci wrote,

| Funny that this was mentioned now... we never had a persistent problem
| with AOL before. But for the past two weeks, just ONE of our hosted
| lists is continuing to report problems. The listowner himself
| has a couple of AOL addresses subscribed - one always gets list
| messages and the other hasn't since the problem started.

I'm having a similar problem with WebTV.  I had six subscribers there when
they decided to accuse the list's host of running an open relay, and I asked
the six if they had other addresses.  Two gave me webmail addresses; one
unsubbed; three did not respond.  Of the remaining three, I had to drop two
as unreachable, yet the third one's copies of list mail do not bounce.  I'd
guess that that person's WebTV mail is located on a server that either ac-
cepts the list or drops it silently.