Great Circle Associates List-Managers
(October 1999)

Subject: Update Re: AOL silently dropping mail again?
From: byronl @ teleport . com
Date: Mon, 25 Oct 1999 19:14:51 -0700 (PDT)
To: list-managers @ greatcircle . com

An update:

On Saturday, we sent a complaint about our dropped mail to
<postmaster @
 aol .
 net> and <support @
 aol .
 net>. The autoreply referred us to a
FAQ web page at http://members.aol.com/postmaster/. There can be found a
question 'what to do about mail dropped with no error' (paraphrased).

That answer suggested we send a message to <postmaster @
 aol .
 net> from the
affected server, which we did. Interestingly, the autoresponder sent back
it's reply almost immediately... (presumably aol.com and aol.net are
different servers).

Of course, there was no further reply or confirmation... but on Sunday,
mail from our server was once again being delivered. It was SLOW, taking
up to two hours to reach our AOL mailbox after we had successfully sent
it, but THAT'S nothing new.

I found Sharon's comment about problems on ONE list rather interesting, as
we've also had listowners who swear that AOL is targeting their specific
list. We always thought they were just paranoid, but ... as Chaq says,
maybe they just like him (and not certain other listowners). :)

Thanks to everyone for your prompt and knowledgable replies - you've been
VERY helpful.

--
Byron