Great Circle Associates List-Managers
(March 2000)

Subject: Re: A lesson about verifying transferred lists
From: Vince Sabio <vince @ vjs . org>
Date: Thu, 2 Mar 2000 03:26:40 -0500
To: List-Managers @ GreatCircle . COM

** Sometime around 11:00 -0800 02/29/2000, Ronald F. Guilmette sent us:
Sharon Tucci <sharon @
listhost .
net> wrote:

 >{... list transfer story snipped...}

 >The number of bounces was what we expected - about 8-9%...

Actually, that sounds rather high to me.

If the old list hosting company _was_ actually cleaning out bouncing
addresses, why would you expect more than (say) 3-4%, tops?

I disagree -- and not [just] because it's fun to disagree with you, Ron. Consider the fact that the list had been dormant for two months; that's plenty of time for a considerable number of e-mail addresses to go bad.

If this had been mailed to within the past couple of weeks, I'd agree with your 3-4% figure. But 8-9% is pretty reasonable after a two-month hiatus IMO. (Speaking as a list owner for whom a two-month hiatus is pretty common.)

Vince Sabio                     Got Bounces? <http://www.smartbounce.com/>
vince @
vjs .
org                     Got Jokes? <http://www.humournet.com/>
                                   Got Spam? <http://www.cauce.org/>

Follow-Ups:
Indexed By Date Previous: Re: A lesson about verifying transferred lists