Great Circle Associates List-Managers
(March 2000)

Subject: Re: A lesson about verifying transferred lists
From: tanny <tanny @ oaknetpub . com>
Date: Thu, 2 Mar 00 08:42:19 -0500
To: <List-Managers @ GreatCircle . COM>

>>we went
>>back to the client and said the only way we could handle their
>>list was if everyone was required to opt-in once again.
>
>I believe you overreacted, though there's certainly no harm in it. At
>least, not at this point ...

I must say I have some sympathy with Sharons concern regarding complaints
generated from her new clients list.

I think it's important to recognize there is a difference between being
the owner of a handful of lists, and a host for many paying clients.   I
would also keep in mind that no ISP I've ever met has the time or
inclination to launch a detailed investigation in to a specific spam
complaint.   Rather, they judge you by the volume of complaints they
receive about you, without a lot of regard to the exact validity of any
specific complaint.

Anyone who is now inclined to advise me to get a new ISP would receive
this question:  Can I put the  600,000 sometimes irrational readers we
serve on your T-1?   What's your comfort level with death threats?    :-)

I wouldn't care to advise Sharon on exactly how she should respond to
this particular situation, she knows her business better than I
obviously.   But I do have an appreciation of the fact that someone in
her position has to take all complaints, valid or invalid, very
seriously.   Logic and common sense is a poor guide to this issue in my
experience.

Phil

Follow-Ups:
Indexed By Date Previous: Re: A lesson about verifying transferred lists