Great Circle Associates List-Managers
(March 2000)

From: "Ronald F. Guilmette" <rfg @ monkeys . com>
Date: Thu, 02 Mar 2000 11:35:06 -0800
To: List-Managers @ GreatCircle . COM
Cc: postmaster @ qualcomm . com, webmaster @ qualcomm . com, eudora-pr @ qualcomm . com, eudora-custserv @ qualcomm . com, eudora-sales @ qualcomm . com

Amazingly, just a couple of days after I posted to List-Managers my
comments regarding what should and (more importantly) what should not
be contained in an initial greeting message (or a subscriber confirmation
or re-confirmation message) from any given mailing list, I received the
message below from Qualcomm.

The message below was definitely triggered by my act of having downloaded
the latest version of Eudora recently.  (I did that recently.)

This is a wonderful example of how to do things right, and I want to com-
pliment the people at Qualcomm for taking the time to do it right.

Please look at the following message, and as you do, please note that:

    o	It is essentially devoid of anything that could be construed as
	``advertising copy''.  (Good!)

    o	It indicates that if I *do not* respond in any way, my ``profile''
	will be automatically deleted from their records within two weeks.
	(Good!)

    o	It goes the extra mile to give me detailed information about how/
	where/when my e-mail address got onto their list.  Specifically, it
	provides the exact date, time, and IP address from whence this
	subscription originated.  (GOOD!)  This information is, of course,
	 critical for tracking down the perp, when/if someone is using
	Qualcomm's web sign-up form to repeatedly harass me.

It is worthy of note also that the message *does not* start off with a bunch
of incomprehensible HTML gibberish.  (Good!)

Also worthy of note is the fact that the message was sent using an ordinary
(non-variable) envelope sender address (eudora-profile @
 qualcomm .
 com).  Thus,
if for any reason I was to consider these mailings inappropriate, I could
very easily block them all (in my MTA or in a sufficiently sophisticated MDA,
e.g. procmail) _without_ having to block all mail from the entire qualcomm.com
domain. (Good!)  (People using variable envelope sender addresses take note!
You may perhaps want to set-aside a separate subdomain of your main domain...
like for example foobar-list.example.com... for your mailings so as to make
it easier for any postmaster who wants to block all foobar-list traffic to
do so WITHOUT also blocking all mail from your entire domain.)

Again, I want to compliment Qualcomm for providing a proof by example that
mailing lists can indeed be run both responsibly and with sincere concern
and thought for the desires of the recipient.

Ron Guilmette
<postmaster @
 monkeys .
 com>

P.S. I also give Qualcomm extra points for injecting a bit of levity into
the first paragraph.

P.P.S. When Qualcom mentions ``customizing ads'' in the first paragraph,
they are almost certainly talking about the ads one would see IF one elected
to actually use their new `free' version of Eudora, which, as I understand
it, allows you free use of the product in exchange for your eyeballs... a
fair bargain.  I don't believe that there is any implication here that
Qualcomm is going to start blasting ads my way... at least not until I
myself `opt-in' by electing to use the free version of their product.