Great Circle Associates List-Managers
(March 2000)

Subject: Re: changing confirm process in majordomo
From: John R Levine <johnl @ iecc . com>
Date: Thu, 2 Mar 2000 19:48:47 -0500 (EST)
To: tom @ baurley . com
Cc: List-Managers @ GreatCircle . COM

> We are in desperate search for a method to change the confirm message that
> comes with Majordomo -- does anyone know how to do this?

The text is in the majordomo perl script, it's easy enough to change.
Here's what I've changed it to:

We have received a request from someone asking us to add
or delete your email address to or from the $list
mailing list.

If it wasn't you, or you don't want us to do this, ignore this
message and you'll never hear from us again.

IF YOU WANT US TO TAKE THIS ACTION, send email to $whoami
and include within the body of the of the message, EXACTLY as it
appears below, the following two lines:

auth $cookie $cmd $list $subscriber
end

Be sure to REMOVE any carats (>) or other "reply" marks your
email program inserts before sending, and be sure that the "auth"
is on one line and "end" is on a separate line, or our mailing list
program will not recognize the "auth" command.

The purpose of this verification is to make sure that no one can
add or remove your name to or from our lists without your
approval.  This keeps on-line vandals from ``mailbombing'' you
with unwanted mailing list memberships.

If you have any questions about the policy of the list owner,
please contact "$list-approval\ @
 $whereami".

> Also is it possible
> to still run confirm but get rid of the approval code?

Not and still have any sort of meaningful confirmation.

> We want it to be able to be approved by simply replying to the email.

Please do NOT do that.  I run a bunch of mailing lists and autoresponders
that are frequently forged into mailing lists that use "reply to confirm",
because they misinterpret bounce messages or autoreponder responses as
confirmations.

These days, the most reasonable way to do confirmations is to put a unique
URL in the confirmation message that the recipient can click on.  I believe
that's in Majordomo2.

Regards,
John Levine, johnl @
 iecc .
 com, Primary Perpetrator of "The Internet for Dummies",
Finger for PGP key, f'print = 3A 5B D0 3F D9 A0 6A A4  2D AC 1E 9E A6 36 A3 47