Great Circle Associates List-Managers
(March 2000)

Subject: Re: VERPs versus batched delivery
From: Tim Pierce <twp @ rootsweb . com>
Date: Mon, 13 Mar 2000 11:59:20 -0500
To: Russ Allbery <rra @ stanford . edu>
Cc: list-managers @ GreatCircle . COM

On Mon, Mar 13, 2000 at 03:27:42AM -0800, Russ Allbery wrote:
> Tim Pierce <twp @
 rootsweb .
 com> writes:

> > ... I counted the number of unique domains as
> > approximately the number of times we deliver a message body using
> > traditional batch methods.
>
> That's ideal batch delivery.  I'd be curious how close to ideal batch
> delivery you actually arrive in practice.  For one thing, you often won't
> be able to deliver more than 100 messages for a particular domain at a
> time using most standard MTAs since they limit the RCPT count at that
> level, and many sites set an even lower limit for spam-control reasons.
> If your estimation counted 1,000 AOL addresses as a single delivery, for
> example, that may actually be 10 deliveries or more.
>
> Do you have any way of measuring the effective batching rather than the
> theoretical maximum batching?

You raise an excellent point.  We don't keep logs of outgoing mail
delivery, for obvious reasons, so there's not much to go on.  I could
look at our mail queues and sort of make educated guesses.

I may try turning on outbound mail logging for an hour at a time,
if I can be sure our disk won't melt down, in order to get a better
picture of our delivery performance

--
Regards,
Tim Pierce