Great Circle Associates List-Managers
(March 2000)

Subject: Re: VERPs versus batched delivery
From: Tim Pierce <twp @ rootsweb . com>
Date: Mon, 13 Mar 2000 19:36:54 -0500
To: "David W. Tamkin" <dattier @ mcs . net>
Cc: list-managers @ GreatCircle . COM

On Mon, Mar 13, 2000 at 01:30:26PM -0600, David W. Tamkin wrote:
> Tim Pierce wrote,
>
> | I dream about the benefits that we could get from VERP delivery --
> | reduced CPU utilization, increased server efficiency, less listowner
> | confusion, better word-of-mouth, and so on ...
>
> OK, I'll agree about less listowner confusion, and Russ Allbery has already
> explained the reduced CPU utilization and the increased server efficiency in
> his response when Bernie Cosell asked, but how do VERPs improve the word-of-
> mouth?

I would expect VERP-based delivery to be a big draw to potential
list administrators.  List managers are always exchanging gossip
about which sites make it easiest to run a mailing list, and handling
bounces are the biggest headache by far that the typical list admin
has to deal with.  Eliminating that hassle would be a feather in our
cap for other list managers.

--
Regards,
Tim Pierce