Great Circle Associates List-Managers
(March 2000)

Subject: Re: VERPs versus batched delivery
From: Chuq Von Rospach <chuqui @ plaidworks . com>
Date: Mon, 13 Mar 2000 17:56:11 -0800
To: Tim Pierce <twp @ rootsweb . com>, "David W. Tamkin" <dattier @ mcs . net>
Cc: list-managers @ GreatCircle . COM

At 7:36 PM -0500 3/13/2000, Tim Pierce wrote:

I would expect VERP-based delivery to be a big draw to potential
list administrators.  List managers are always exchanging gossip
about which sites make it easiest to run a mailing list, and handling
bounces are the biggest headache by far that the typical list admin
has to deal with.  Eliminating that hassle would be a feather in our
cap for other list managers.

I tend to agree. I know that after buying Smartbounce, after looking at self-implementation and doign ti by hand and all sorts of other options, that SmartBounce paid for itself within two weeks, purely in the reduced man-hours it saved at my billable rate. I haven't (yet) started taking advantage of it's "unsubscribe" processing, but I hope to do that soon, too, to try to pre-process the postmaster mail, and grab another chunk.

(today, for instance, I ran smartbounce, and it found and unsubscribed a bit over 50,000 bounces for me on my lists. Do you really want to guess what it'd take for me to do that by hand? shudder. And it did it in about four hours, while I was off doing something else entirely...)

Chuq Von Rospach - Plaidworks Consulting (mailto:chuqui @
plaidworks .
com)
Apple Mail List Gnome (mailto:chuq @
apple .
com)

And they sit at the bar and put bread in my jar
and say 'Man, what are you doing here?'"