Great Circle Associates List-Managers
(March 2000)

Subject: Re: VERPs versus batched delivery
From: Michelle Dick <artemis @ rahul . net>
Date: Mon, 13 Mar 2000 18:46:48 -0800
To: list-managers @ GreatCircle . COM

John Levine wrote:
> recipient's message, which permits almost completely automated bounce
> handling. This does work, I've used it for ages on lists I run, and it
> avoids vast amounts of manual effort on the part of the list admin.

FWIW, I don't find myself spending "vast amounts" of time processing
bounces the non-verp bounce handler doesn't catch these days.  Of
course, although I manage several lists, only one is big enough to be
concerned about, and then many would consider even it tiny at around
2,000 subscribers.  Bounces must have been getting better, because I'd
estimate I spend about 30 seconds every 5 days or so figuring out a
bounce that my doctored-up smartlist program couldn't handle.  Of
course, I wouldn't want to do totally without bounce handling, verp or
non-verp.  Heck, that's why I adopted smartlist so many years ago.

It did use to be more time, which is why I think bounces have gotten better.

The main reason I'd like to use verp is NOT because of those few
remaining bounces, but so that I can include an active html link in
the messages so that folks can unsubscribe themselves more easily or
do other tasks just with a click.

I DO spend about 10 minutes a week either mailing out various
administrivia instructions.

--
Michelle Dick             artemis @
 rahul .