Great Circle Associates List-Managers
(March 2000)

Subject: Re: VERPs versus batched delivery
From: Russ Allbery <rra @ stanford . edu>
Date: 13 Mar 2000 19:42:11 -0800
To: list-managers @ GreatCircle . COM

Michelle Dick <artemis @
 rahul .
 net> writes:

> I agree. I like the VERP solution too.  However, I'm in even a worse
> situation than you: the small scale situation.  My lists run over a
> modem line and are sent to a smarthost that can handle large numbers of
> addressees at a time (though I believe I limit it to 500) -- every
> addressee gets sent to the same host.  So, the bandwidth increase I'd
> see would be over several hundred thousand percent increase.

Do you have any control at all over your smarthost?  If so, you might be
able to get *it* to do VERP for you.

> I'm in a non-DSL-able location, and other solutions are not cost
> effective at this time.  My bounce handler works over 90% of the time
> (and it's been over a year since I've had one it missed that I couldn't
> figure out on my own in less than a minute), so not changing is a
> no-brainer.

Oh, agreed.  If your bounce handler is already working well for you,
there's no real reason to change it.  And the number of truly annoying
bounces seems to have gone down recently.  (I think there are also fewer
people who have complicated forwarding paths for their mail.)

--
Russ Allbery (rra @
 stanford .