Great Circle Associates List-Managers
(March 2000)

Subject: Re: VERPs versus batched delivery
From: "Roger Fajman" <RAF @ CU . NIH . GOV>
Date: Tue, 14 Mar 2000 00:31:21 -0500 (EST)
To: list-managers @ GreatCircle . COM

> If anything, I've seen that as a small downside to VERPs: unsophisticated
> members see their own addresses in the return path and panic that they're
> being forged.  Or sometimes the headers will be corrupted above the RFC822
> From: line, so the list member's MUA will see the From: line as part of the
> body, ignore it, and try to construct a sender name from the return path,
> which will include the recipient's address in the VERP portion, placing it
> where even a brand newbie who doesn't know about displaying full headers will
> see it; the reaction then is something to witness.  (And of course, if it
> happens on an unmoderated list, everyone argues "My address was on it!" "No,
> you're wrong, mine was!")  One public listhost that uses a modification of
> ezmlm has tried to reduce the panic factor by using the word "sentto" earlier
> in the VERP instead of "errors" as it used to or "return" as some others do.
> [Another workaround is to assign a member ID to each subscription and to use
> that in the VERP instead of the subscriber's actual address.]

We've run into a mail system used by a number of subscribers to some of
our lists that bounces messages that have the VERP-type return path used
by LISTSERV.  I'm not sure whether it's the overall length of the userid
or the asterisks in the userid that it objects to.

Follow-Ups:
Indexed By Date Previous: Re: VERPs versus batched delivery