Great Circle Associates List-Managers
(March 2000)

Subject: Re: VERPs versus batched delivery
From: "David W. Tamkin" <dattier @ mcs . net>
Date: Tue, 14 Mar 2000 10:07:00 -0600 (CST)
To: RAF @ CU . NIH . GOV (Roger Fajman)
Cc: list-managers @ GreatCircle . COM

Roger Fajman wrote,

| We've run into a mail system used by a number of subscribers to some of
| our lists that bounces messages that have the VERP-type return path used
| by LISTSERV.  I'm not sure whether it's the overall length of the userid
| or the asterisks in the userid that it objects to.

Replacing the asterisks and the elements of the subscriber's address in the
return path with an alphanumeric subscriber ID would get rid of the unex-
pected characters and also decrease the length.

It would also reduce the panicking when an MUA presents a post with no From:
header (or whose From: header has been disconnected into the body) to the sub-
scriber as coming from listname-owner-articleID-your=address .
 here @
 list .
 host .

Maybe in extreme cases it's not so far out an idea.