Great Circle Associates List-Managers
(March 2000)

Subject: Re: VERPs versus batched delivery
From: James M Galvin <galvin @ acm . org>
Date: Tue, 14 Mar 2000 14:24:50 -0500
To: list-managers @ GreatCircle . COM

This whole discussion of VERP versus batched for better bounce
processing seems to have overlooked an arguably preferable solution:
MTAs should return the Internet standard delivery status notification
message.

This has, in fact, been occurring.  I've seen a dramatic increase in the
last 6 months in the use of the standard DSN.  I don't have any hard
numbers although I can say that my hit rate for fully processing bounce
messages has inched to 85% from 80%, for those elists that are a
problem.  What that means is the larger an elist gets or the lower the
frequency of messages, the more problematic managing the bounces
becomes.  I divide my elists into two broad categories: those for which
the bounce processing is 100% for all practical purposes and those for
which I just can not get ahead.

By the way, I have trouble believing that SmartBounce gets 97% because I
see a new error message at least once a week, but then such statistics
are based on your subscriber community so anything is possible.
Overall, my community is worldwide and quite varied.  Heck, I get error
messages in foreign languages almost every day, which result in frequent
updates to my parsing routines.

In fairness, I do have to admit I've been thinking a lot about VERP
distribution, for all the reasons already discussed.  Even now I have
too many to think about failed messages that come back with no
indication or an ambiguous indication as to which address failed.  It is
a personnel drain to deal with them, although lately we discovered that
letting them fail and keeping good records counts for a lot.  We've been
getting lucky lately getting similar failures across multiple elists,
and the intersection can be quite revealing.

Jim
--
James M. Galvin, Ph.D.                           Principal
eList eXpress LLC                                +1 410.549.4619

		    Delivering your email, your way.

There are only two ways to live your life; one as though nothing is a
miracle.  The other is as though everything is.  - Albert Einstein

Follow-Ups:
Indexed By Date Previous: Re: VERPs versus batched delivery