Great Circle Associates List-Managers
(March 2000)

Subject: Re: Mail Lists on RemarQ
From: David Shaw <dshaw @ jabberwocky . com>
Date: Wed, 22 Mar 2000 20:23:50 -0500
To: Eric Leach <eleach @ remarq . com>
Cc: list-managers @ GreatCircle . COM

On Tue, Mar 21, 2000 at 11:55:15AM -0800, Eric Leach wrote:

> A) Mail lists have been added to our searchable index and our
> directory,
>
> so people are able to find them in the same way they find Usenet
> newsgroups or custom groups. We obtained our ?list of lists?
> exclusively
>
> from Stephanie daSilva's Publicly Accessible Mailing Lists. If your list
>
> is not on PAML and you would like to have us include your list please
> email mail_lists @
 remarq .
 com .
  You can visit our mail list suggestion page

> information directly into our form to suggest a new list or update an
> existing list. If your list is on PAML and you do not want us to include
>
> your list please send email to mail_lists @
 remarq .
 com .

Opt out.  Ah yes, that works well.

"If you don't want to get any more of our *targeted* special emails
just for you then just send a message to ...."

> C) RemarQ does not archive mail lists. Once a user is successfully
> subscribed, they are able to read discussions from the date of their
> subscription approval. If the user is unsubscribed from the list they
> are not allowed to see any messages in the list from that point forward.

Okay, say I subscribe to a list, and then don't read for a month.  If
I read then, do I get the past month?  How about if I read two months
later?  A year?

You may be restricting people on what they can read, but in what way
is this not archiving?  How long do you keep files containing list
messages on disk?

David

--
   David Shaw  |  dshaw @