Great Circle Associates List-Managers
(March 2000)

Subject: MISC: New pyramid scheme involving PAYPAL.COM, TOPICA.COM, EGROUPS.COM
From: "Ronald F. Guilmette" <rfg @ monkeys . com>
Date: Mon, 27 Mar 2000 10:50:17 -0800
To: SPAM-L @ peach . ease . lsoft . com, list-managers @ GreatCircle . COM
Cc: abuse @ topica . com, abuse @ egroups . com, dru @ egroups . com, postmaster @ paypal . com, delph @ netmeridian . com, abuse @ earthlink . net

The following interesting new spamvertizment dropped into my spamtraps
yesterday.

It appears that Internet pyramid schemers are getting more sophisticated.
This one is hoping to get his victims to pay him via credit card payments
made via PayPal.com.  I guess that puts this scheme into the realm of wire
fraud, yes?

Oh yea... and he suggests to his victims that they should snoop around on
www.egroups.com and www.topica.com for lists of additional sub-level victim
e-mail addresses that THEY can then spam.

Spam sent via earthlink, of course.

The spammer's real web page seems to be www.link-me-up.com.

>From davewilson @
 about .