Great Circle Associates List-Managers
(March 2000)

Subject: Re: Mail Lists on RemarQ
From: Chuq Von Rospach <chuqui @ plaidworks . com>
Date: Tue, 28 Mar 2000 14:19:13 -0800
To: Michelle Dick <artemis @ rahul . net>, list-managers-digest @ GreatCircle . COM

Is it respectful of list owners for you to take that same web content,
repackage it so that my advertising does not appear, and instead
replace that advertising with your own?  Robbing my list of revenue?

I'd also love to know what anti-spammer/anti-harvesting protections you make for the e-mail addresses you publish. Unlike Michelle, I don't banner advertise my archives, since I'm not worried about revenue. but I categorically refuse ALL attempts to archive my lists, because anyone who archives my lists where they're not under control puts that information onto the web in a way I can't police.

I don't want my lists archived by anyone, period. Especially without my permission, and I have sent out a couple of cease and desists over the last year or so. And it's because I'm responsible for protecting my users from the spam harvesters out there, and I've yet to be convinced anyone actually protects their data to my satisfaction (heck *I* don't protect my data to my satisfaction yet, but I'm working on it)

I get especially honked off when I offer my users a given level of service and expectations about access and privacy, and the find out someone else has just gone off and borrowed my content and stuffed it onto the net for me. Without asking.

And, of course, if I ever do decide to do banner ads or some other kind of subscription/revenue thing, I wouldn't be happy to find that my content is in competition with myself from some other site without my permission.

Chuq Von Rospach - Plaidworks Consulting (mailto:chuqui @
plaidworks .
com)
Apple Mail List Gnome (mailto:chuq @
apple .
com)

And they sit at the bar and put bread in my jar
and say 'Man, what are you doing here?'"