Great Circle Associates List-Managers
(March 2000)

Subject: anti-spammer/anti-harvesting protections
From: Aumont - Comite Reseaux des Universites <Serge . Aumont @ cru . fr>
Date: Wed, 29 Mar 2000 08:16:52 +0200
To: Chuq Von Rospach <chuqui @ plaidworks . com>
Cc: Michelle Dick <artemis @ rahul . net>, list-managers-digest @ GreatCircle . COM

> I'd also love to know what anti-spammer/anti-harvesting protections
> you make for the e-mail addresses you publish.

The harvesting of emails in the web is one of biggest source of spam.
Let me describe what we do in the Sympa's web interface for pretection.

-1- In order to access to archives, users have to post a form.
    Because most robots don't follow post links this is a great
    protection.
-2- Archives access are controled by sympa it self (not by apache) so
    the list config can specify that the archive is restricted to
    subscribers (or to owners, or intranet users or any other
    definition). This is a very effective protection.

Now we do not need anymore harvester poisoning tool. We still use
at the root of how web server a configuration taht reject some
kind of browers. (http://mosa.unity.ncsu.edu/~brabec/antispam.html).

Serge Aumont