Great Circle Associates List-Managers
(March 2000)

Subject: Public Archives
From: Robert Comperini <robertc @ qnet . com>
Date: Thu, 30 Mar 2000 08:28:31 -0800
To: List-Managers-Digest <List-Managers @ GreatCircle . COM>

At 07:42 AM 3/30/00 -0600, Steve McIlree wrote:
Alan--

Thursday, March 30, 2000, you wrote:

> (1) They have no banner ads or other advertisements on the archived
> pages.  I have a basic distrust for the honesty of any site that uses
> banner ads or has commercial sponsors.  I personally would not be
> comfortable at eScribe.

  Hmm. Personally I'm far more comfortable when I can clearly see what
  a service provider is gaining from a relationship. Banner
  advertising I can understand, when there appears to be no profit for
  the provider I become suspicious.

Yeah, I tend to agree. Look, these sites dont archive the world's e-mail lists out of the goodness of their hearts. They're in it for advertising dollars, which is OK by me, as long as I get some benefit to it as well.

By the way, and I'm not affiliated with Escribe in any way, nor do I have an allegiance to any of these companies. I do use Escribe, and found them very responsive to my questions/needs. I dont find their banners get in the way at all. They do strip e-mail addresses from posts, and do have some good search capabilities. They also allow me to configure a "chat room", "bulletin board", and "links" to my own webpage.

They've got a pretty decent TOS too (http://www.escribe.com/policy.html) which clearly states (If I believe 'em) that they don't do anything with e-mail addresses.

I do believe we all need to be real careful about the "free" services out there, but done right, and for the price (annoyance) of dealing with banners, some of the "Free" services ain't too bad. Man, I'll take banner ads, over unsolicited e-mail in my In Box any day of the week.

PS: I recently joined this list, after I too had an "experience" with Remarq.

--
Robert Comperini	USUA AFI #A16560
Lancaster, CA		mailto:robertc @