Great Circle Associates List-Managers
(March 2000)

Subject: Re: MLM, your opinion ?
From: bwarsaw @ python . org (Barry Warsaw)
Date: Fri, 31 Mar 2000 02:00:36 -0500 (EST)
To: Chuq Von Rospach <chuqui @ plaidworks . com>
Cc: List-Managers @ GreatCircle . COM

 plaidworks .
 com> writes:

    CVR> I like most of Mailman -- but it's written in Python, and
    CVR> that means that using it requires installing (and,
    CVR> ultimately), learning yet another programming language.

Not such a big deal though, for Mailman's supported platforms (Un*x)!
For Mailman 2.0, you will need Python 1.5.2 which has been out almost
a year now, and which should come with most major Linux distributions.
RPMs are easily available in any case.  Installing Python from source
is very easy for anybody familar with autoconf'd distributions: untar,
configure, make install.  Same with Mailman, BTW. :)

As for learning Python, I'm biased, but I firmly believe that the
language is learnable in about half a day by anybody with moderate to
significant programming experience.  I won't get into a language war
here, but am happy to answer Python questions if asked off-list.

Cheers,
-Barry

Indexed By Date Previous: Re: Public Archives