Subject: Re: about the webtv whitelist?
From: John R Levine <johnl @ iecc . com>
Date: Thu, 4 May 2000 16:47:41 -0400 (EDT)
To: Chuq Von Rospach <chuqui @ plaidworks . com>
Cc: list-managers @ greatcircle . com

> anyone else see this?

Lots.  The message meant exactly what it said, although for some reason many
people who didn't read it closely leapt to wrong conclusions.

WebTV does a lot of spam blocking.  Whenever they get a complaint about spam,
they tend to block the site where the spam came from.  Except that some sites
tend to provoke false alarms for one reason or another.  So they have a
"whitelist" of sites that they know are well behaved and about which they
will ignore spam complaints.  I believe that abuse.net is on their whitelist,
for example.

All that their message said was that as of Monday, you'll no longer be on
your whitelist.  As their message said, this DOES NOT mean that you'll be
blocked, blacklisted, or anything else.  All it means is that if they get
complaints about you in the future, they might block you rather than ignoring
the complaints.

Honestly, I don't understand why they bothered to send out the notice, since
their blocking practices are their own business, and as we've seen, many
trigger-happy sysadmins insisted it on misreading it as some sort of attack.

Regards,
John Levine, johnl @
 iecc .
 com, Primary Perpetrator of "The Internet for Dummies",
Finger for PGP key, f'print = 3A 5B D0 3F D9 A0 6A A4  2D AC 1E 9E A6 36 A3 47