Subject: Re: webtv whitelist?
From: "Ronald F. Guilmette" <rfg @ monkeys . com>
Date: Thu, 04 May 2000 16:27:45 -0700
To: list-managers @ GreatCircle . COM

In message <p04310101b53762633a31 @
 [209 .
 239 .
 169 .
 197]>,
Chuq Von Rospach <chuqui @
 plaidworks .
 com> wrote:

>anyone else see this? both my mailing list sites (plaidworks and
>apple) got notes from webtv announcing my sites were being removed
>from their whitelist list because of spam reports.
>
>I find  the timing curious that both my sites were flagged at the
>same time. I'm wondering if this is just more webtv braindamage, or
>perhaps some kind of subtle attack aimed at my stuff. I know it's not
>because I'm suddenly tossing spam at WebTV from both my sites at the
>same time, and of course, they don't do things like report the spam
>or give me any details on what they got.
>
>given the timing, it could also be related to this iloveyou virus,
>perhaps, although as far as I can tell, that hasn't passed through my
>systems. I'm going to go double-check that shortly.
>
>Now personally, as far as I'm concerned, the webtv folks can put me
>on their plaidlist but I find this curious...

As of last week, the domain lists.apple.com is also on my blacklist
here.

The resons is simple... some net-miscreant who (apparently) doesn't
like my political views signed me up to a half a dozen Apple mailing
lists that I have no interest in whatsoever.  (Either that or else Apple
is just plain spamming me, but that seems rather unlikely.)

And of course, your Chuq, in your infinite wisdom, insured that this
attack would be at least twice as annoying as it should have been by
setting up your lists so that they blindly accept forged subscriptions
with no validations whatsoever required on the part of the victim.

Thus, I had to manually unsubscribe myself in order to stop getting
this jizz.  I did that, in the case of the first three Apple lists that
hit me, but after that it started to get ridiculous so I just dropped
lists.apple.com into my Sendmail access.db file with a blanket REJECT
code.

I frankly don't know why you should be at all surprised when others do
likewise.

You know exactly what's wrong with the way you manage your lists, and
you have elected, for _your_ own convenience, to leave them configured
so that they can be used as tools to annoy other netizens.

It is getting to the point where I and others on the net have decided
that we really don't need any e-mailed communications from people and
organizations who show so little respect and common courtesy towards
their fellow netizens.